Involved in crop improvement programmes for biotic stress tolerance. The core of these programmes has been the meristem-based in planta transformation strategy developed by me. Presently, working on pod borer resistance in pigeonpea. This will be dealt with by using different insecticidal proteins (ICPs) from Bacillus thuringiensis using the tissue culture-independent in planta transformation strategy.
Awards & Honors
- Recipient of the DST-Young Scientist Award for the DST-Fast track project 2004, “Genetic transformation of sunflower and safflower for resistance to fungal diseases”.
- Best paper award for the year 2010 in the journal, Journal of Plant Science Research.
- Afolabi AS,Worland B, Snape JW, Vain P (2004) A large-scale study of rice plants transformed with different T-DNAs provides new insights into locus composition and T-DNA linkage configurations. Theor Appl Genet 109: 815–826
- Sundaresha S, Manoj Kumar A, Rohini S, Math SA, Keshamma E, Chandrashekar SC, Udayakumar M (2010) Enhanced protection against two major fungal pathogens of groundnut, Cercospora arachidicola and Aspergillus flavus in transgenic groundnut over-expressing a tobacco β 1–3 glucanase. Eur J Plant Pathol 126: 497–508
- Manoj Kumar A, Sundaresha S, Rohini Sreevathsa (2011) Transgenic Sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) with Enhanced Resistance to a Fungal Pathogen Alternaria helianthi. Trans Plant J 5(1): 50-56
- Gayathri D, Chaithanya MP, Rohini Sreevathsa, Sheshshayee MS, Prasad TG (2010) Protocol for the Production of Doubled Haploids from Rice F1 Anthers. J Plant Biol 37 (3): 1–7
- Manjulatha Mekapogu, Bala Murali Krishna Vasamsetti, Rohini Sreevathsa, Appanna Venkappa Koppad, Suma Tumkur Chandrashekar, Sudhakar Chinta, Devendra R (2010) Characterization of Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea. L) Transgenics for the Stability and Effectiveness of the Transgene, EPSPS. J Plant Biol 37(3):1-6
- Arthikala Manoj Kumar, Rohini Sreevathsa, Kalpana Nanja Reddy, Keshavareddy Gopalareddy, Prasad Trichy Ganesh, Makarla Udayakumar (2011). Amenability of Castor to an Agrobacterium- Mediated in planta Transformation Strategy Using a cry1AcF Gene for Insect Tolerance. J Crop Sci Biotech 14(2): 1-10
- Prashantkumar Shrishail Hanjagi, Sashidhar Vudayagiri Radhakrishnan, Sushma Muragendra Awaji, Rohini Sreevathsa (2011) Improvement of Salt Tolerance in Putatively Transgenic Rice Plants Overexpressing AVP1, a Vacuolar H+-Pyrophosphatase. Trans Plant J: 44-49
- Manoj Kumar, Kalpana N Reddy, Manjulatha M, Elizabeth S Arellano, Rohini Sreevathsa, Girija Ganeshan (2011) A rapid, novel and high-throughput identification of putative bell pepper transformants generated through in planta approach. Sci Horti 129: 898-903
- Sundaresha Siddappa, Rohini Sreevathsa, Rangaswamy Kattarigatta Topegowda, Udayakumar Makarla (2011) Strategies for Viral Disease Resistance in Crop Plants. The Asian and Australasian J Plant Sci Biotech: 73-78
- Nagaveni Venkataramaiah, Sashidhar Vudayagiri Ramakrishna, Rohini Sreevathsa (2011) Overexpression of phytochelatin synthase (AtPCS) in rice for tolerance to cadmium stress. Biologia 66(6): 1060-1073
- Keshamma E, Rohini Sreevathsa, Manoj Kumar A, Kalpana N Reddy, Manjulatha M, Shanmugam NB, Kumar ARV, Udayakumar M (2012) Agrobacterium-Mediated in Planta Transformation of Field Bean (Lablab purpureus L.) and Recovery of Stable Transgenic Plants Expressing the cry1AcF gene. Plant Mol Biol Rep 30:67–78
- Ramu SV, Rohini S, Keshavareddy G, Gowri Neelima M, Shanmugam NB, Kumar ARV, Sarangi SK, Ananda Kumar P, Udayakumar M (2012) Expression of a synthetic cry1AcF Gene in Transgenic Pigeon pea Con-fers Resistance to Helicoverpa armigera. J Appl Entomol 136(9): 675-687
- Jyothsna P Rao, Pushpa Agrawal, Riaz Mahmood, Rohini Sreevathsa, Sankara Rao K, Reddy GR, Suryanarayana VVS (2012) Tissue culture independent transformation of the forage crop sunnhemp (Crotalaria juncea L.): an easy method towards generation of transgenics. Physiol Mol Biol Plants 18(1): 51-57
- Kalyananagar Chikkakariyappa Manjunath, Rohini Sreevathsa, Narayanaswamy Ramachandra Swamy, Makarala Udaya Kumar (2011) Expression and specificity of EcNAC1 transcription factor from Eleusine coracana in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Bioinf Bioeng 1(4):459-464
- S. Sundaresha, Rohini Sreevathsa, Gurupada B. Balol, G. Keshavareddy, K. T. Rangaswamy & M. Udayakumar. (2012). A simple, novel and high efficiency sap inoculation method to screen for tobacco streak virus. Physiol. Mol. Biol. Plants 18(4): 365-369.
- Prajna Hegde, Vitobha Malaiyappa Choudki, Naveen Babu, Sashidhar Vudayagiri Radhakrishnan, Rohini Sreevathsa (2012) Strategies to Co-express Two Genes Encoding Functionally Related Proteins for Osmolyte Biosynthesis and Ion Homeostasis: Does the Conventional Crossing Method have an Advantage Over the Tissue Culture Technique to Develop Co-expressed Transgenics for Stress Tolerance? LS-An international Journal for Plant Sciences. 1(3): 192-200.
- Manjunath KC, Mahadeva A, Rohini Sreevathsa, Ramachandra N, Prasad TG (2013) In Vitro Screening and Identification of Putative Sunflower (Helianthus annus L.) Transformants Expressing ECNAC1 Gene by Salt Stress Method. Trends Biosci 6 (1): 108-111
- Keshavareddy G, Rohini Sreevathsa, Ramu SV, Sundaresha S, Kumar ARV, Ananda Kumar P, Udayakumar M (2013) Transgenics in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) expressing cry1AcF gene for resistance to Spodoptera litura (F.). Physiol Mol Biol plants. DOI 10.1007/s12298-013-0182-6.
- Mahesh Patil, Ramu SV, Jathish P, Rohini Sreevathsa, Chandrashekar Reddy P, Prasad TG, Udayakumar M (2013) Overexpression of AtNAC2 (ANAC092) in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) improves abiotic stress tolerance. Plant Biotech Rep DOI 10.1007/s11816-013-0305-0
- Nagavara Prasad Gantasala, Pradeep Kumar Papolu, Prasoon KumarThaku, Divya Kamaraju, Rohini Sreevathsa and Uma Rao (2013) Selection and validation of reference genes forquantitative gene expression studies by real-time PCR in eggplant (Solanum melongena L). BMC Research Notes 6: 312
- Pradeep Kumar Papolu, Nagavara Prasad Gantasala, Divya Kamaraju, Prakash Banakar1, Rohini Sreevathsa, Uma Rao (2013) Utility of Host Delivered RNAi of Two FMRF Amide Like Peptides, flp-14 and flp-18, for the Management of Root Knot Nematode, Meloidogyne incognita. PLOS ONE 8(11) e80603
- Manjulatha M, Rohini Sreevathsa, Manoj Kumar A, Chinta Sudhakar, Prasad TG, Narendra Tuteja, Udayakumar M (2014) Overexpression of a Pea DNA Helicase (PDH45) in Peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) Confers Improvement of Cellular Level Tolerance and Productivity Under Drought Stress. Mol Biotech 56:111–125
- Israr Ahmad, Solanke AU, Deshmukh DP, Kanakachari M, Rohini Sreevathsa, Pattanayak D, Sharma TR, Kumar PA (2014) Isolation and characterization of Ethylene Responsive Factor (ERF) genes from brinjal. Indian J Hort 71(1): 49-54
- Manoj-Kumar Arthikala, Kalpana Nanjareddy, Miguel Lara, Rohini Sreevathsa (2014). Utility of a tissue culture-independent Agrobacterium-mediated in planta transformation strategy in bell pepper to develop fungal disease resistant plants. Sci Horti 170: 61–69
- Vivek Kumar Singh, Sellamuthu Gothandapani, Mullapudi Lakshmi Venkata Phanindra, Vikrant Nain, Rohini Sreevathsa, K R S Sambasiva Rao and Polumetla Ananda Kumar. (2014). Vacuolar Targeting of Cry1Ac and its Effects on Expression and Stability in Tobacco. Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy. 8 (3) 276-287.
- Sheshshayee M.S., Ehab Abou-Kheir, Rohini Sreevathsa, Namita SrivastavaMohanraju, B., Karaba N. Nataraja, Prasad T.G., and Udayakumar M.(2011). Phenotyping for root traits and their improvement through biotechnological approaches to sustaining crop productivity. A.C. de Oliveira and R.K. Varshney (eds.), Root Genomics, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-85546-0_9, # Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 205-232.
- Sundaresha S., Manjunath Prasad, V.R.L.N., Chandrashekar S.C. and Rohini Sreevathsa (2011). NPR1: A Multifunctional Regulatory Protein in Plants. In Genetically Engineered Crops: Biotechnology, Biosafety and Benefits, Lindsay M. Grover (ed.) pp. 105-129.
- Suma T.C., Rohini Sreevathsa and Devendra R. (2011). Genetic Modification for Herbicide Tolerance in Crop Plants: Glyphosate as a Paradigm. In Genetically Engineered Crops: Biotechnology, Biosafety and Benefits, Lindsay M. Grover (ed.) pp. 153-175.
- Nagaveni V., Mahadeva A. and Rohini Sreevathsa (2011). Plants under Attack: Phytoalexins in Defense Mechanism. In Genetically Engineered Crops: Biotechnology, Biosafety and Benefits, Lindsay M. Grover (ed.) pp. 193-209.
- Ramu S.V., Rohini Sreevathsa, Sarangi S.K. and Udayakumar M. (2011). Plant Protection through RNAi: Alternative for Pesticides and Chemical Approaches to Pest Control. In Genetically Engineered Crops: Biotechnology, Biosafety and Benefits, Lindsay M. Grover (ed.) pp. 211-222.
- Manjulatha M, Suma T C, Rahul S Lathe, Madhura J N, Rohini Sreevathsa, Prasad T G, M K Reddy, N Tuteja, Udayakumar M. (2011) Development of drought tolerant groundnut through pyramiding the desirable adaptive traits by transgenic approach. In Genomica and crop improvement: Relevance and Reservations, Muralidharan K and Siddiq EA (eds), Institute of Biotechnology, Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, India, pp 338-352.
- 7. Nageswara Rao R.C., Sheshshayee M.S., Karaba N. Nataraja, Rohini Sreevathsa, Rama N., Kumaraswamy S., Prasad T.G., and Udayakumar M. Genetic Approaches to Enhance Adaptation of Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) to Drought. In, Improving Crop Productivity in Sustainable Agriculture. Eds N Tuteja, SS Gill & R Tuteja, Wiley-Blackwell, Germany.
- Rohini Sreevathsa, Debasis Pattanayak and Polumetla Ananda Kumar (2013) Impact of genetically engineered insect resistant crops in developing countries. In: Genetically Engineered Crops in Developing Countries. Editors: D.V. Reddy, P. Ananda Kumar, G. Loebenstein and P. Lava Kumar. Publisher: Studium Press, Texas (USA), New Delhi (India).
|Name of the Project||Funding Agency|
|Resistance to pod borer in pigeon pea||
|Development of pod borer resistant transgenic pigeonpea and chickpea||
NFBSFARA (National Fund), ICAR