I work on two plant systems, chickpea, a legume and Arabidopsis, a model plant.Chickpea is the integral part of the daily diet of majority of the population. The yield of chickpea has not improved with time because of a number of stresses (both biotic and abiotic) severely affecting the productivity. Our group is trying to understand drought tolerance and wilt resistance in chickpea using the tools of functional genomics. We have generated thousands of expressed sequence tags (ESTs) by suppression subtraction hybridization (SSH) to identify differentially expressed genes in drought-tolerant/wilt resistant and drought susceptible/wilt susceptible genotypes in chickpea. Several genes like ERF, NAC, DREB etc. have been characterized in detail. Of late, microRNAs have emerged as major players in gene regulation. We have identified and characterized salt- and wilt-stress responsive microRNAs for the first time. We are also using mapping population(s) for identifying genes/QTL involved in drought tolerance and wilt resistance.
I also work in the area of Host delivered RNAi for nematode resistance. We have identified and cloned nematode-responsive root specific promoters, in Arabidopsis, as an alternative to constitutive promoters for expressing dsRNA to induce RNAi. We have observed 40-60 % reduction in nematode infection in transgenic plants expressing dsRNA for nematode genes. Our group has longstanding interest in isolating promoters with specific spatial and temporal expression patterns. Such promoters can be ultimately used for manipulating responses to biotic and abiotic stresses. Several tissue-specific promoters like root-, anther- and trichome-specific promoters have been isolated and characterized.
Awards & Honors
BOYSCAST Fellowship by DST for year 2003-04
- Grewal S, Sharma K, Devi R, Hegde V, Tripathi S, Singh S, Jain PK, Agrawal P, Mondal B (2020) Understanding genotypic variation and identification of promising genotypes for iron and zinc content in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Journal of Food Composition and Analysis Volume 88, May 2020. 103458 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2020.103458.
- Joshi I, Kumar A, Singh AK, Kohli D, Raman KV, Sirohi A, Chaudhury A and Jain PK (2019) Development of nematode resistance in Arabidopsis by HD-RNAi-mediated silencing of the effector gene Mi-msp2. Scientific Reports 9, Article number: 17404 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-53485-8.
- Gupta OP, Dahuja A, Sachdev A, Kumari S, Jain PK, Vinutha T and Praveen S (2019) Conserved miRNAs modulate the expression of potential transcription factors of isoflavonoid biosynthetic pathway in soybean seeds. Molecular Biology Reports, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-019-04814-7.
- Gupta OP, Dahuja A, Sachdev A, Jain PK, Kumari S, T V, Praveen S (2019) Cytosine Methylation of Isoflavone Synthase Gene in the Genic Region Positively Regulates Its Expression and Isoflavone Biosynthesis in Soybean Seeds. DNA Cell Biol. 38(6):510-520 doi: 10.1089/dna.2018.4584.
- Divte P, Yadav P, Jain PK, Paul S and Singh B (2019) Ethylene regulation of root growth and phytosiderophore biosynthesis determines iron deﬁciency tolerance in wheat (Triticum spp). Environmental and Experimental Botany, 162, June 2019, Pages 1-13 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2019.01.011.
- Kohli D, Chidambaranathan, P, Tej Kumar JP, Singh AK, Kumar A, Subramaniam K, Srinivasan R, Bharadvaja, N and Jain PK (2018). Host-mediated RNAi of a Notch-like receptor gene in Meloidogyne incognita induces nematode resistance. Parasitology 1–11. https://doi.org/ 10.1017/S0031182018000641.
- Kakrana A, Kumar A, Satheesh V, Abdin MZ, Subramaniam K, Bhattacharya RC, Srinivasan R, Sirohi A and Jain PK (2017) Identiﬁcation, Validation and Utilization of Novel Nematode-Responsive Root-Speciﬁc Promoters in Arabidopsis for Inducing Host-Delivered RNAi Mediated Root-Knot Nematode Resistance. Front. Plant Sci. 8:2049. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2017.02049.
- Taxak PC, Khanna SM, Bharadwaj C, Gaikwad K, Kaur S, Chopra M, Tandon G, Jaiswal S, Iquebal MA, Rai A, Kumar D, Srinivasan and Jain PK (2017) Transcriptomic signature of Fusarium toxin in chickpea unveiling wilt pathogenicity pathways and marker discovery. Physio. & Mol. Plant Patho. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmpp.2017.09.006.
- Banerjee S, Gill S, Gawade B, Jain PK, Subramaniam K, Sirohi A. (2018) Host Delivered RNAi of Two Cuticle Collagen Genes, Mi-col-1 and Lemmi-5 Hampers Structure and Fecundity in Meloidogyne incognita. Front. Plant Sci. 2266. DOI:10.3389/fpls.2017.02266
- Kumar V, Saha D, Thakare DR, Jajoo A, Jain PK, Bhat SR, Srinivasan R (2017) A part of the upstream promoter region of SHN2 gene directs trichome specific expression in Arabidopsis thaliana and heterologous plants. Plant Sci. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2017.09.005.
- Sagar Banerjee S, Banerjee A, Gill SS, Gupta OP, Dahuja A, Jain PK and Sirohi A (2017) RNA interference: a novel source of resistance to combat plant parasitic nematodes. Front. Plant Sci. | doi: 10.3389/fpls.2017.00834.
- Banerjee S, Gill SS, Jain PK and Sirohi A (2017) Isolation, cloning, and characterization of a cuticle collagen gene, Mi-col-5, in Meloidogyne incognita. 3 Biotech (2017) 7:64 DOI 10.1007/s13205-017-0665-1
- Parameswaran CP, Jagannadham PTK, Satheesh V, Kohli D, Basavarajappa SH, Bharadwaj C, Kumar J, Jain PK and Srinivasan R (2017) Genome-wide analysis identifies chickpea (Cicer arietinum) heat stress transcription factors (Hsfs) responsive to heat stress at the pod development stage. J Plant Res. 10.1007/s10265-017-0948-y.
- Kumar A, Kakrana A, Sirohi A, Subramaniam K, Srinivasan R, Abdin MZ and Jain PK (2017) Host-delivered RNAi-mediated root-knot nematode resistance in Arabidopsis by targeting splicing factor and integrase genes. J Gen Plant Patho. 83:91–97. DOI 10.1007/s10327-017-0701-3
- Koramutla MK, Bhatt D, Negi M Venkatachalam P, Jain PK and Bhattacharya RC (2016) Strength, Stability, and cis-Motifs of In silico Identiﬁed Phloem-Speciﬁc Promoters in Brassica juncea (L.) Front. Plant Sci. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.00457.
- Kumar A, Kohli D, Joshi I, Satheesh V, Abdin MZ, Sirohi A, Srinivasan R and Jain PK (2016) Characterization of root-knot nematode responsive and root-specific promoter containing PIN domain from Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Indian J. of Genet. and Plant Breeding 76:75-83.
- Chidambaranathan P, Jagannadham PTK, Satheesh V, Jain PK and Srinivasan (2016) Expression analysis of six chromatin and remodeling complex genes (SWR1) in chickpea in different tissues and during heat stress (2016) Indian J. Genet. and Plant Breeding 76:47-56.
- Nimmy MS, Kumar V, Singh AK, Jain PK and Srinivasan R (2015) Expression analysis of a MATE-type transporter gene of Arabidopsis and its orthologues in rice and chickpea under salt stress. Indian J. Genet. and Plant Breeding, 75(4): 478-485. DOI: 10.5958/0975-6906.2015.00076.0.
- Satheesh V, Chidambaranathan P, Jagannadham PT, Kumar V, Jain PK, Chinnusamy V, Bhat SR & Srinivasan R (2015): Transmembrane START Domain Proteins: In silico Identification, Characterization and Expression Analysis under Stress Conditions in Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.), Plant Signaling & Behavior, DOI: 10.4161/15592324.2014.992698.
- Deokar AA, Kondawar V, Kohli D, Aslam M, Jain PK, Karuppayil M, Varshney RK and Srinivasan R (2015) The CarERF genes in chickpea ( Cicer arietinum L.) and the identification of CarERF116 as abiotic stress responsive transcription factor. Func. Int. Genomics 15:27-46. DOI 10.1007/s10142-014-0399-7.
- Kohli D, Joshi G, Deokar AA, Bhardwaj AR, Agarwal M, Katiyar-Agarwal S, Srinivasan R and Jain PK (2014)Identification and Characterization of Wilt and SaltStress-Responsive MicroRNAs in Chickpea throughHigh-Throughput Sequencing. PLoS ONE 9(10): e108851. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0108851.
- Deokar AA, Kondawar V, Kohli D, Aslam M, Jain PK, Karuppayil M, Varshney RK and Srinivasan R (2014) The CarERF genes in chickpea ( Cicerarietinum L.) and the identification of CarERF116 as abiotic stress responsive transcription factor. Func. Int. Genomics DOI 10.1007/s10142-014-0399-7.
- Satheesh V, Jagannadham PTK, Chidambaranathan P, Jain PK and Srinivasan R (2014) NAC transcription factor genes: genome-wide identiﬁcation, phylogenetic, motif and cis-regulatory element analysis in pigeonpea (Cajanuscajan (L.) Millsp.) Mol. Biol. Rep. DOI 10.1007/s11033-014-3669-5.
- Khanna SM, Taxak PC, Jain PK, Saini R and Srinivasan R (2014) Glycolytic Enzyme Activities and Gene Expression in Cicerarietinum Exposed to Water-Deficit Stress. Appl.Biochem. Biotech. 173:2241-2253. DOI 10.1007/s12010-014-1028-6.
- Sharma R, Arya S, Patil SD, Sharma A, Jain PK, Navani, NK and Pathania R (2014) Identification of Novel Regulatory Small RNAs in Acinetobacterbaumannii. PLoS ONE 9(4):e93833. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0093833.
- Khanna SM, Choudhary P, Saini R, Jain, PK and Saini R (2014) Specific activities and transcript levels of glycolytic enzymes under dehydration in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) seedlings. Legume Res.
- Khanna SM, Choudhary P, Saini R, Jain, PK and Srinivasan R (2014) Effect of water deficit stress on growth and physiological parameters in chickpea cultivars differing in drought tolerance. Annals Biol. 30:77-84.
- Choudhary P, Khanna SM, Jain PK, Bharadwaj C, Kumar J, Lakhera PC and Srinivasan R (2013) Molecular Characterization of Primary Gene Pool of Chickpea Based on ISSR Markers. Biochemical Genet. 51: 306-322.
- Choudhary P, Khanna SM, Jain PK, Bharadwaj C, Kumar J, Lakhera PC and Srinivasan R (2012) Genetic structure and diversity analysis of primary gene pool of chickpea using SSR markers. Genet Mol. Res. 11:891-905.
- Gupta NC, Jain PK, Bhat SR and Srinivasan R (2012) Upstream sequence of fatty acyl-CoA reductase (FAR6) of Arabidopsis thaliana drives wound-inducible and stem-specific expression. Plant Cell Rep.31:839-850.
- Vajinder Kumar V, Thakare DR, Saha DN Jajoo A, Jain PK, Bhat SR and Srinivasan R. (2012) Characterization of upstream sequences of the peroxidase gene, Atprx18 of Arabidopsis thaliana. J. Plant Biochem. Biotech. 21(1):121–127.
- Singh, NK…… Jain PK...... et al. (2012) The first draft of the pigeonpea genome sequence. J. Plant Biochem. Biotech. 21(1): 98–112.
- Deokar, AA Kondawar, V, Jain, PK, Karuppayil, SM, Raju, NL Vadez, V, Varshney, R and Srinivasan, (2011) Comparative analysis of expressed sequence tags (ESTs) between drought-tolerant and -susceptible genotypes of chickpea under terminal drought stress. BMC Plant Biology 11:70.
- Patil, G, Deokar AA, Jain, PK, Thengane, RJ and Srinivasan R, 2009. Development of a phosphomannose isomerase-based Agrobacterium-mediated transformation system for chickpea (Cicerarietinum L.) Plant Cell Reports 28:1669-1676.
- Patil, G, Patel, R, Jaat, R, Pattanayak, A, Jain, PK and Srinivasan, R. 2009 Glutamine improves shoot morphogenesis in chickpea (Cicerarietinum L.) Acta Physiol. Plant. 31:1077-1084.
- Saha,D, Prasad, A, Sujatha, TP, Kumar, V, Jain, PK, Bhat, SR and Srinivasan R, 2006. In silico analysis of the Lateral Organ Junction (loj) gene and promoter of Arabidopsis thaliana.In Silico Biology 7, 0002. </isb/2006/07/0002/>.
- Sunkar, R, Girke, T, Jain, PK, and Zhu, J-K. 2005 Cloning and characterization of microRNAs from rice. Plant Cell 17: 1397-411.
|Name of the Project||Funding Agency|
|Characterization, mapping and transcriptome analysis of seed protein, β-carotene and mineral contents in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.)||
|Study on methylation patterns under drought stress for identification of key genes and microRNAs involved in drought stress tolerance in chickpea||