Losses caused by insect pests are as old as plants themselves. Synthetic pesticides have a strong impact on the human health and environment. The promising area of research is return to an old approach with new technology i.e. the characterization of secondary plant products including lectins, protease inhibitors, amylase inhibitors etc. The insecticidal activity of these metabolites has been demonstrated against a wide range of insect pests. By transferring single defensive gene from one plant species to another under the control of their own tissue specific promoters or constitutive promoters would impart resistance against insect pests.
Brassica juncea (Indian mustard) is the second most important edible oilseed crop in India. A major constraint on productivity is an aphid species, Lipaphis erysimi which causes yield losses from 35.4 to 91.3%.Plant lectins are sugar binding proteins with agglutination property making them useful against Aphids with no effect on human metabolism. The developed transgenics of mustard harboring lectin gene under the control of tissue specific promoter will control the damage leading to increase in the productivity.
- Mittal A, Kansal R, Kalia V, Tripathi M, Gupta V K. A kidney bean trypsin inhibitor with an insecticidal potential against Helicoverpa armigera and Spodoptera litura. ActaPhysiol Plant 2014; 36:525–539.
- Kuhar K, Mittal A, Kansal R, Gupta V K. Purification of a protease inhibitor from Dolichos biflorus using immobilized metal affinity chromatography. Ind.J. Biochem & Biophys 2014; 51: 66-74.
- Mittal A, Nagar S, Kansal R, Gupta V K. Standardization of Trypsin Inhibitor Extraction from Kidney Bean and Cumulative Effect of Temperature, Incubation Time and pH on Its Activity. Indian J AgricBiochem 2013; 26 (2): 118-124.
- Kuhar K, Kansal R, Subrahmanyam B, Koundal KR, Miglani K, Gupta VK. A Bowman–Birk protease inhibitor with antifeedant and antifungal activity from Dolichos biflorus. ActaPhysiologia Plantarum 2013; 35: 1887-1903.
- Kuhar K, Gupta VK, Kansal R, Gupta VK. Isolation and in silico characterization of cDNA encoding cyclophilin from etiolated Vigna mungo seedlings. Braz. J. Plant Physiol 2012; 24(1): 69-73.
- Kuhar K, Kansal R, Mishra A, Koundal KR, Gupta V K. Cloning, characterization and expression analysis of a novel gene encoding Kunitz-type protease inhibitor from Dolichos biflorus. 3 Biotech 2012; 2:199–209.
- Singh R, Tiwari IM, Kansal R, Gupta RN, Jagadeesh M, Koundal KR, Saini R. Isolation of lectin gene and development of resistant Nicotiana tabacum against Spodopteralitura. Indian Journal of Biotechnology 2012; 11:134-141.
- Kumar M, Kansal R, Kumar V, Srivastava PS, Koundal KR. Isolation and Characterization of Protease Inhibitor Protein from Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L.). Vegetos 2012; 25 (2):158-164.
- Singh NK, Gupta DK, Jayaswal P K, Mahato AK, Dutta S, Singh S, Kansal R, et al. The first draft of the pigeonpea genome sequence. J. Plant Biochem. Biotechnol. 2012; 21(1):98–112.
- Singh R, Tiwari IM, Kansal R, Saini R, Koundal KR. An efficient Agrobacterium- mediated genetic transformation method of Brassica juncea (L.) Czern & Coss cv. Varuna with a lectin gene of Moth Bean. J. Plant Biol. 2010; 37: 123-130.
- Kansal R, Kuhar K, Gupta RN, Gupta VK, Koundal KR. Trypsin inhibitor profile in developing and germinating seeds of mungbean and chickpea. Prog. Agric. 2010; 10: 226-231.
- Kumar M, Kansal R, Srivastava PS, Koundal KR. Effect of temperature and pH on protease inhibitor proteins of Pigeonpea. Prog. Agri. 2009; 9: 217-221.
- Kansal R, Kuhar K, Gupta RN, Gupta VK, Koundal KR. Purification, characterization and evaluation of insecticidal potential of trypsin Inhibitor from mungbean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) seeds. Acta Physiol. Plant 2009; 30:761-768.
- Kansal R, Kuhar K, Verma I, Gupta RN, Gupta VK, Koundal KR. Improved and convenient method of RNA isolation from polyphenols and polysaccharide rich plant tissues. Ind. J. Exptl. Biol. 2008; 47: 842-845.
- Kansal R, Kuhar K, Gupta RN, Gupta VK, Koundal KR. Screening of Indegenous legumes for Trypsin inhibitor protein activity. Ind. J. Agri. Biochem 2008; 21:54-56.
- Kansal R, Kumar M, Kuhar K, Gupta RN, Subrahmanyam B, Koundal KR, Gupta VK. Purification and characterization of trypsin inhibitor from Cicer arietinum L. and its efficacy against Helicoverpa armigera. Braz. J. Plant Physiol 2008; 20(4): 313-322.
- Kumar M, Kumar M, Kansal R, Srivastava PS, Koundal KR. Effect of Indigenous legumes protease inhibitor proteins on Helicoverpa armigera. Prog. Agri. 2007; 7: 56-59.
- Sharma M, Sahni R, Kansal R, Koundal KR. Transformation of oil seed mustard Brassica juncea (L) cv Pusa Jaikissan with snow drop lectin gene. Ind. J. Biotechnology 2004; 3: 97-102.
- Koundal KR, Dash PK, Kansal R. Plant defense proteins; Mechanism and potential of pest control through genetic manipulation. J. Plant Biology 2003; 30 (2): 211-227.
- Qureshi IA, Dash PK, Kansal R, Srivastava PS, Koundal KR. Isolation and characterization of a lectin from seed of Cicer arietinum. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology 2003; 8(2): 625-629.
- Datta S, Kansal R, Koundal KR. Construction and screening of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.) cDNA library for lectin genes. J. Plant Biochem. & Biotech 2000; 6: 67-71.
- Koundal KR, Mandaokar AD, and Kansal R. Isolation, cloning and characterization of storage protein genes of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) In Proceedings of the National Symposium on Biochemistry- Environment and Agriculture 2000.
- Saha S, Kansal R, Koundal KR. Use of polymerase chain reaction in analyzing recombinant cDNA clones encoding storage proteins of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Ind. J. Expt. Biol. 1996; 34:1019-1025.
- Kansal R, Ramkumar TP, Koundal KR. Construction of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) cDNA library in lambda gt11. Genetic Research and Education: Current Trends and the Next Fifty Years 1995; pp 1727-1732.
- Khitha S, Kansal R, Koundal KR. Isolation and characterization of genomic DNA of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 1995; 22(1): 1-5.
- Mandaokar AD, Koundal KR, Kansal R, Bansal HC. Characterization of vicilin seed storage protein of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). J. Plant Biochem and Biotech 1993; 2:35-38.
- Kansal R, Ramkumar TP, Koundal KR. Construction and screening of chickpea cDNA library with heterologous legumin cDNA probe. J. Plant Biochem. and Biotech 1992; 1:69-71.
- Kansal R, Kumar A, Koundal KR, Gupta VK. Lectins: Their Proposed Biological Functions In: Biotechnology: Cracking New Pastures Ed C P Malik and AmanVerma MD Publishers, New Delhi 2009; pp 1-18.
- Kuhar K, Kansal R, Koundal KR, Gupta VK. Protease Inhibitors: Potential Defense Compounds in Plants. In: 'Genetic Engineering- A new hope for crop production improvement'. Aavishkar Publishers Distributors, Jaipur, India 2010; pp 1-55
- Sharma M, Kansal R, Kothari SL, Shrivastava MB, Gupta VK. Tissue Culture of Recalcitrant Crops: Problems and Solutions. In: Biotechnology: A new Approach. (PC Trivedi Eds.) Agribios, India 2011; 31-46.