Dr. Kishor Gaikwad
Email Id :kish2012[at]gmail[dot]com
Phone :01125841787 ext. 246
PhD : Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Post Doc: USA and Japan
- Structurual genomics and transcriptomics of mandated crops including pigeonpea, wheat.
- Isolation and characterization of genes resposnsible for cytoplasmic male sterility and fertility restoration in pigeonpea
- Decoding the organelle genomes of pigeonpea and allied species
- Understanding the epigenetic mechanism regulating pollen sterility and fertility in pigeonpea.
- Functional genomics of temperature tolerance in pigeonpea and rice.
Awards & Honors
DBT Overseas Associateship, 2008
- Smaranika Mishra1, Tusar K. Behera, Anilabh D. Munshi1, Kishor Gaikwad, Trilochan Mohapatra (2014). Identification of RAPD marker associated with gynoecious trait (gy-1gene) in bitter gourd (Momordica charantiaL.). AJCS 8(5):706-710 (2014)
- Genomewide characterization of Hsp 100 family genes from pigeon pea (2014). Danekar P, Tyagi A, Mahto A, Singh A, Raje RS , Gaikwad K and Singh NK .Indian J. Genet., 74(3): 325-334 (2014)
- Kudapa, H., Bharti, A.K., Datta, S., Sharma, T.R., Singh, N.K. and Varsney, R. K. (2012). A Comprehensive Transcriptome Assembly of Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L.) using Sanger and Second-Generation Sequencing Platforms. Mol Plant 5:1020-8
- Kumawat G, Raje RS, Bhutani S, Pal JK, Mithra AS, Gaikwad K, Sharma TR, Singh NK(2012). Molecular mapping of QTLs for plant type and earliness traits in pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L. Millsp.) BMC Genet. Oct 8;13(1):84
- Kadam S, Singh K, Shukla S, Goel S, Vikram P, Pawar V, Gaikwad K, Khanna-Chopra R, Singh N(2012).Genomic associations for drought tolerance on the short arm of wheat chromosome 4B.Funct Integr Genomics. 2012 Aug;12(3):447-64
- The tomato genome sequence provides insights into fleshy fruit evolution. Nature (2012),485,635–641.
- Singh, N. K. Gupta, D. K. Jayaswal, P. K. Mahato, M. K. Dutta, S. Singh, S. Bhutani, S. Dogra, V. Singh, B. P. Kumawat, G. Pal, J. K. Pit, A. Singh, A. Rawal, H. Kumar, A. Prashant, G. R. Khare, A. Yadav, R. Raje, R. S. Singh, M. N. Datta, S. Fakrudin, B. Wanjari, K. B. Kansal, R. Dash, P. K. Jain, P. K. Bhattacharya, R. Gaikwad, K. Mohapatra, T. Srinivasan, R. Sharma, T. R. (2011).The first draft of the Pigeonpea genome sequence. J of Plant Biochem and Biotechnology. 21:98-112
- Dutta S, Kumawat G, Singh BP, Gupta DK, Singh S, Dogra V, Gaikwad K, Sharma TR, Raje RS, Bandhopadhya TK, Datta S, Singh MN, Bashasab F, Kulwal P, Wanjari KB, K Varshney R, Cook DR, Singh NK (2011). Development of genic-SSR markers by deep transcriptome sequencing in pigeonpea Development of genic-SSR markers by deep transcriptome sequencing in pigeonpea BMC Plant Biol. 2011 Jan 20;11:17
- Pandit A, Rai V, Bal S, Sinha S, Kumar V, Chauhan M, Gautam RK, Singh R, Sharma PC, Singh AK, Gaikwad K, Sharma TR, Mohapatra T, Singh NK (2010). Combining QTL mapping and transcriptome profiling of bulked RILs for identification of functional polymorphism for salt tolerance genes in rice (Oryza sativa L.).Mol Genet Genomics. Aug;284(2):121-36
- Parida SK , Pandit A, Gaikwad K, Sharma TR, Srivastava PS, Singh NK, Mohapatra T (2010).Functionally relevant microsatellites in sugarcane unigenes. BMC Plant Biology 2010, 10:251
- Singh H, Deshmukh RK, Singh A, Singh AK, Gaikwad K, Sharma TR, Mohapatra T and Singh NK (2010) Highly variable SSR markers suitable for rice genotyping using agarose gels. Molecular Breeding 25:359-364
- B K Singh, Archana Singh, K Gaikwad and N K Singh (2009). Cloning and Characterization of Full-length Triticin cDNA and Genes from Wheat Varieties K-68 and Chinese Spring. J. Plant Biochemistry & Biotechnology Vol. 18(1), 21-2
- 13. Ghazi IA, Srivastava PS, Dalal V, Gaikwad K, Singh AK, Sharma TR, Singh NK and Mohapatra T (2009) Physical mapping, expression analysis and polymorphism survey of resistance gene analogues on chromosome 11 of rice. Journal of Bioscience 34: 251-261
- 14. Ammar MHM , Awadhesh Pandit, R K Singh, S Sameena, M S Chauhan, A K Singh, P C Sharma, Kishor Gaikwad, T R Sharma, T. Mohapatra, N K Singh (2009). J. Plant Bioch. Biotech. 18 :139-150
- 15. A Snapshot of the Emerging Tomato Genome Sequence: The Tomato Genome Sequencing Consortium (2009). THE PLANT GENOME, March, VOL. 2, No.1
- 16. Parida SK, Kalia SK, Kaul S, Dalal V, Hemaprabha G, Selvi A, Pandit A, Singh A, Gaikwad K, Sharma TR, Srivastava PS, Singh NK, Mohapatra T(2009). Informative genomic microsatellite markers for efficient genotyping applications in sugarcane.Theor Appl Genet. 2009 Jan;118(2):327-38
- B K Singh, Archana Singh, K Gaikwad and N K Singh (2009). Cloning and Characterization of Full-length Triticin cDNA and Genes from Wheat Varieties K-68 and Chinese Spring. J. Plant Biochemistry & Biotechnology Vol. 18(1), 21-28
- V. Jyothilakshmi, A. Singh, K. Gaikwad, K. Vinod, N. K. Singh and S. M. S. Tomar (2008). RNA Editing in CMS wheat: Influence of nuclear background leads to differential editing of orf 256. Indian J. Genet., 68(4)
- Govindasamy V, Senthilkumar M, Gaikwad K, Annapurna K(2008). Isolation and characterization of ACC deaminase gene from two plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria. Curr Microbiol. 2008 Oct;57(4):312-7
- Singh NK, V Dalal, K Batra, BK Singh, G Chitra, A Singh, IA Ghazi, M Yadav, A Pandit, R Dixit, PK Singh, H Singh, KR Koundal, K Gaikwad, T Mohapatra, TR Sharma(2007).Single copy genes define a conserved order between rice and wheat for understanding the differences caused by duplication, deletion and transposition of genes Funct. Integr Genomics 7:17-35
- Gargi Meur, K. Gaikwad, S. R. Bhat, S. Prakash and P. B. Kirti.(2006) Homeotic-like modification of stamens to petals is associated with aberrant mitochondrial gene expression in cytoplasmic male sterile Ogura Brassica juncea .J.Genet 85:133-139
- K Gaikwad, A Baldev, P B Kirti, T Mohapatra, S R Bhat, V L Chopra, S Prakash. Organization and expression of the mitochondrial genome in CMS (Moricandia) Brassica juncea: nuclear-mitochondrial incompatibility results in differential expression of the mitochondrial atpα gene (2006). Plant Breeding 125 (6), 623–628.
- Sharma TR, P Shanker, , BK Singh, , TK Jana, MS Madhav, K Gaikwad, NK, Singh, P Plaha, R Rathour (2005). Molecular mapping of Rice blast resistance gene PiKh in the rice variety Tetep. J. Plant Biochemistry & Biotechnology, 14:127-133.
- The Rice Chromosomes 11 and 12 Sequencing Consortia (2005). The sequence of rice chromosomes 11 and 12, rich in disease resistance genes and recent gene duplications. BMC Biology, 3:20
- Sharma TR, Madhav MS, Singh BK, Shanker P, Jana TK, Dalal V, Pandit A, Singh A, Gaikwad K, Upreti HC, Singh NK (2005). High-resolution mapping, cloning and molecular characterization of the Pi-k(h) gene of rice, which confers resistance to Magnaporthe grisea. Mol Genet Genomics. Dec; 274(6): 569-78
- International Rice Genome Sequencing Project. The Map- based sequence of the Rice genome. Nature, Aug 2005
- Singh NK, Raghuvanshi S, Srivastava SK, Gaur A, Pal AK, Dalal V, Singh A, Ghazi IA, Bhargav A, Yadav M, Dixit A, Batra K, Gaikwad K, Sharma TR , Mohapatra T, Mohanty A, Bharti AK, Kapur A, Gupta V , Kumar D, Vij S, Ravi V, Khurana Parul , Sharma S, McCombie D , Messing J, Wing R, Sasaki T, Khurana Paramjit , Khurana JP, Tyagi AK.(2004). Sequence analysis of the long arm of rice chromosome 11 for rice-wheat-synteny. Funct.Integr Genomics.4:102-117
- Baldev A, Gaikwad K, Kirti PB, Mohapatra T, Prakash S and Chopra VL (1998) Recombination between chloroplast genomes of Trachystoma ballii and Brassica juncea following protoplast fusion. Mol. Gen. Genet. 260:357-361
- 29. Prakash S , Kirti PB, Bhat SR, Gaikwad K, Kumar VD and Chopra VL (1997) A Moricandia arvensis based cytoplasmic male sterility and fertility restoration system in Brassica juncea. Theor.Appl.Genet .97: 488-492
- Kirti PB, Prakash S, Gaikwad K, Kumar VD, Bhat SR and Chopra VL (1997) Chloroplast substitution overcomes leaf chlorosis in Moricandia arvensis based cytoplasmic male sterile Brassica juncea Theor.Appl.Genet.97:1179-82
- Kirti PB, Baldev A, Gaikwad K, Bhat SR, Kumar VD, Prakash S and Chopra VL (1997) Introgression of a gene restoring fertility to CMS (Trachystoma)Brassica juncea. The genetics of restoration. Plant Breeding 116:259-262.
- Gaikwad K, Kirti PB, Sharma A, Prakash S and Chopra VL (1996) Cytogenetical and molecular investigations on somatic hybrids of Sinapis alba and Brassica juncea and their back cross progeny. Plant Breeding 115:480-483