Functional genomics for biotic and abiotic stress management in crop plants. Molecular cloning and characterization of panicle blast resistance genes in rice. Gene prospecting for abiotic stress tolerance from Finger millet. Use of transgenic approach for characterization of stress responsive genes and their promoters
Awards & Honors
- Eminent Plant Biotechnologist Award (2015) from Society for Applied Biotechnology, Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu.
- C. V. Jacob Award (2013) from Society for Biotechnologists (India), Cochin, Kerala.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Award (2010) for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Research in Agricultural Biotechnology by ICAR, New Delhi.
- Senior Research Fellowship by CSIR, Govt. of India, (2006 - 2009).
- Junior Research Fellowship by CSIR, Govt. of India, (2004 -2006).
- Young Scientist Award (2003) at National Seminar on Modern Biology held at Guntur, AP, India
- Kanakachari M*, Solanke AU*, Prabhakaran N, Ahmad I, Dhandapani G, Jayabalan N and Kumar PA (2015). Evaluation of suitable reference genes for normalization of qPCR gene expression studies in Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.) during fruit developmental stages. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, (DOI 10.1007/s12010-015-1884-8).(*Equal authorship)
- Singh RK, Singh VK, Raghavendrarao S, Phanindra MLP, Venkat Raman K, Solanke AU, Kumar PA and Sharma TR (2015). Expression of Finger Millet EcDehydrin7 in Transgenic Tobacco Confers Tolerance to Drought Stress. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 177(1): 207-216.
- Dhandapani G, Lakshmi Prabha A, Kanakachari M, Phanindra ML, Prabhakaran N, Gothandapani S, Padmalatha KV, Solanke AU and Kumar PA. (2014) GhDRIN1, a novel drought-induced gene of upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) confers abiotic and biotic stress tolerance in transgenic tobacco. Biotechnology Letters (DOI 10.1007/s10529-014-1733-9).
- Kanakachari M, Ahmad I, Solanke AU, Jayabalan N and Kumar PA (2014). Characterization of Antioxidant genes during Fruit Development and Ripening in Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.). International Journal of Current Biotechnology, 2(12): 29-34.
- Ahmed I*, Solanke AU*, Deshmukh DP, Kanakachari M, Sreevathsa R, Pattanayak D, Sharma TR and Kumar PA. (2014) Isolation and characterization of Ethylene Responsive Factor (ERF) genes from brinjal. Indian Journal of Horticulture, 71(1): 49-54. (*Equal authorship)
- Singh RK, Phanindra MLV, Singh VK, Sonam, Raghavendrarao S, Solanke AU* and Kumar PA (2014) Isolation and characterization of drought responsive EcDehydrin7 gene from finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.). Indian Journal of Genetics, 74(4): 456-462. (*Corresponding author)
- Pattanayak D, Solanke AU and Kumar PA. (2013) Plant RNA Interference Pathways: Diversity in Function, Similarity in Action. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, 31, 493-506.
- The Tomato Genome Consortium (2012) Tomato genome sequencing and comparative analysis reveal two consecutive triplications that spawned genes influencing fruit characteristics, Nature, 485: 635-641. (Solanke AU is one of the authors in the consortium.)
- Padmalatha KV, Dhandapani G, Kanakachari M, Kumar S, Dass A, Patil DP, Rajamani V, Kumar K, Pathak R, Rawat B, Leelavathi S, Reddy PS, Jain N, Powar KN, Hiremath V, Katageri IS, Reddy MK, Solanke AU, Reddy VS, Kumar PA. (2012) Genome-wide transcriptomic analysis of cotton under drought stress reveal significant down-regulation of genes and pathways involved in fibre elongation and up-regulation of defense responsive genes. Plant Molecular Biology, 78(3):223-46.
- Leelavathi S, Bhardwaj A, Kumar S, Dass A, Pathak R, Pandey SS, Tripathy BC, Padmalatha KV, Dhandapani G, Kanakachari M, Solanke AU, Kumar PA, Cella R and Reddy VS. (2011) Genome-wide transcriptome and proteome analyses of tobacco psaA and psbA deletion mutants. Plant Molecular Biology. DOI 10.1007/s11103-011-9731-y.
- Kumar PA, Mohapatra T, Sharma TR, Bhattacharya RC, Dash P, Gupta NC and Solanke AU (2011) Biotechnology and Crop Improvement. The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 81(9): 1-14.
- Sharma MK, Kumar R, Solanke AU, Sharma R, Tyagi AK and Sharma AK. (2010) Identification, phylogeny, and transcript profiling of ERF family genes during development and abiotic stress treatments in tomato. Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 284:455–475.
- Solanke AU, Sharma MK, Tyagi AK and Sharma AK. (2009) Characterization and phylogenetic analysis of environmental stress responsive SAP gene family encoding A20/AN1 zinc-finger proteins in tomato. Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 282, 153-164.
- Sharma MK, Solanke AU, Jani D, Singh Y and Sharma AK. (2009) A simple and efficient Agrobacterium-mediated procedure for transformation of tomato. Journal of Biosciences, 34, 423-433.
- Gupta V, Mathur S, Solanke AU, Sharma MK, Kumar R, Vyas S, Khurana P, Khurana JP, Tyagi AK and Sharma AK. (2009) Genome analysis and genetic enhancement of tomato. Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, 29, 152-181.
- Mueller LA, … Solanke AU, ….. Knapp S, Zamir D and Stiekema W. (2009) A snapshot of the emerging tomato genome sequence. Plant Genome, 2, 78-92.
- Solanke AU and Sharma AK. (2008) Signal transduction during cold stress in plants. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants, 14, 69-79.
- Bharathy PV, Karibasappa GS, Biradar AB, Kulkarni DD, Solanke AU, Patil SG and Agrawal DC (2003) Influence of Pre-bloom Sprays of Benzyladenine on in vitro Recovery of Hybrid Embryos from Crosses of Thompson Seedless and 8 Seeded Varieties of Grape (Vitis spp.). Vitis 42 (4): 199-202.
- Solanke AU, Tribuvan KU and Kanika (2015) Genomics: An Integrative Approach for Molecular Biology. In: S M Paul Khurana and Machiavelli Singh (Eds.), Biotechnology: Progress & prospects, Studium Press LLC, USA, pp 238-274.
- Sreevathsa R, Solanke AU and Kumar PA (2015) Biotechnology for Insect Pest Management in Vegetable Crops. In: K. Azhakanandam et al. (eds.), Recent Advancements in Gene Expression and Enabling Technologies in Crop Plants, Springer Publications, LLC 2015 (DOI 10.1007/978-1-4939-2202-4_10)
- Venkat Raman K, Aggarwal D, Solanke AU, Sreevathsa R and Pattanayak D (2015) Transgenic Technology: Applications in Agriculture and Plant Sciences. In: S M Paul Khurana and Machiavelli Singh (Eds.), Biotechnology: Progress & prospects, Studium Press LLC, USA.
- Solanke AU, Raghavendrarao S., Kanika and Pattanayak D (2015) Heat Stress Responses In Plants: Insight Into Physiological And Molecular Mechanisms. In: Ratna Kumar Pasala, Yogeshwar Singh, Kiran P Bhagat and Satish Kumar (Eds), Abiotic Stress: Challenges and Prospects, Today and Tomorrow’s Printers & Publishers, New Delhi, India. pp 123-152.
- Kanika, Singh AK, Solanke AU and Dogra T (2015) Role of microbes in mitigating effect of abiotic stress in agriculture. In: Ratna Kumar Pasala, Yogeshwar Singh, Kiran P Bhagat and Satish Kumar (Eds), Abiotic Stress: Challenges and Prospects, Today and Tomorrow’s Printers & Publishers, New Delhi, India. pp 205-231.
- Solanke AU and Kumar PA (2013) Tomato phenotyping. In: Siva Kumar Panguluri and Ashok Kumar Are (Eds.) Phenotyping for Plant Breeding, Applications of Phenotyping methods for Crop Improvement, Springer publications, pp. 169-204.
- Yadav RC, Solanke AU, Kumar P, Pattanayak D, Yadav NR and Kumar PA (2013) Genetic Engineering for Tolerance to Climate Change Related Traits. In: Kole C (Eds.) Genomics & Breeding for Climate-Resilient Crops Vol 1, Springer publications, pp. 285-330.
- Solanke AU (2013) Molecular insights into fruit size, shape and colour of eggplant (Solanum melongena L.). In: Mishra SK (Eds.) Recent advances in Biotechnology Vol. 2 (ISBN-978-81-928063-1-4) pp. 40-46.
- Bharathy PV, Kulkarni DD, Biradar AB, Karibasappa GS, Solanke AU, Patil SG and Agrawal DC (2005) Production of hybrid plants in Thompson Seedless grapes (Vitis vinifera) through breeding and in ovulo embryo rescue methods. In: Kumar A, Roy S & Sopory SK (Eds.) Plant Biotechnology and its Application in Tissue Culture, IK International Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, pp. 51-58.
|Name of the Project||Funding Agency|
|National Certification System for Tissue Culture Raised Plants (NCS-TCP): Referral Centre for Genetic Fidelity Testing||
|RiceMetaSys: Understanding rice gene network through system biology approach (Under CABin, IASRI)||
|National initiative on climate resilient agriculture (NICRA)||